Sunday, September 5, 2010

Savings at Kroger and CVS and a little lesson

CVS (3 transactions)
J&J baby wash, J&J baby lotion, 96 ct box of diapers, 2 hydo shave gels, 2 hydro razors, 4 packs of gum, 1 caramel (because I went negative), 2 Zegrid OTC, 4 SoBe lifewaters, 10 clearance items= $0.48 out of pocket and $1.49 on a gift card. I used 8 ECB to buy the clearance items that were 75% and 90% off. Total saved $145.17 and I have lots of ECB left to spend.


Kroger (2 transactions)
4 pkg Reach floss, 2 pure protein bars, 4 Dial handsoaps, 2 deoderants, 4 pkg rice = $0.36
Now I did also pick up 21 packages (yes, that is twenty-one!) of Ian's Gluten Free Chicken nuggets at $3.00 each. I know that sounds super expensive, but in actuality it is over 1/2 off the regular price. (still expensive, but when your GF and you need some convenience...) Total savings $113.91 at Kroger.


So why do I coupon?
  • The money saved can be spent on more worthwhile things, ie. college fund, adoption fund.
  • I like a challenge.
  • It is my way of relieving stress.
  • The stuff that we don't use I giveaway, tax deduction and/or blessing to others.
  • I enjoy getting bargains!
I had some coupons spread out at church the other evening while waiting for Mr. Incredible and the kids during AWANA. A gentleman approached me and asked what I was doing, my system and how it worked, a couple of ladies inquired as well wanting to know the same things. I gladly shared the information that I have learned, because I want others to find the savings that I have. As I was trying to clean up and child pick up started I then observed the eyes of those who hadn't heard how much I save. They saw me (I was in shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops), saw my coupons and passed judgement. (I'm not kidding, they looked at me like I had a plague or at least was in a much lower caste than them.) I could have been offended, but I chose to forgive. I don't coupon to win a popularity contest and so I'm not going to worry about what others think about me. Don't get me wrong, it's great when people think what you're doing is super cool. But in the end when Jesus says, "Well done good and faithful servant", is it really going to matter that the doctor or the young mom didn't like me cutting coupons?!

2 comments:

  1. Well, next time just wear your evening gown and high heels - that'll give 'em something to talk about!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laugh, Laura! Mr. Incredible would be extremely jealous though since I hardly dress up even to go "out on the town" with him!

    ReplyDelete