Wednesday, August 4, 2010

To Homeschool or not!

With all that is in me I want to teach my children and for us to enjoy learning, BUT that has not happened! (at least not as much as my ideal- think of a Norman Rockwell picture with the mother sitting serenely with a couple children on her lap reading a book) So where am I left? To homeschool or not?! When I think of the days ahead and the battles that will be fought over math, English, etc., I cringe. But when I can think past the immediate discomfort to the solid footing and the logic and reasoning I am imparting, maybe we can battle through!? It would be so easy to hand off the chore of teaching to those who actually get paid to do it, but how much of God's money am I willing to impart to them in order for them to not care about my children as deeply as I do? What disrespect (respect is big at our house) am I willing to succumb my children to so that I can be more comfortable? What are we going to have to give up because of the rigid schedule of "going" to school? Is it worth it?!

So I press on in this journey of homeschooling. I am NOT using a curriculum with lessons plans this year, so I get to make my own! (YIKES!) We are going to be fitting in 2 sessions of occupational therapy at home, 2 sessions of speech therapy at home, 2 sessions of speech therapy at the deaf ed school, 1 session of language development at home and 1 counseling session each week along with 6th grade, 4th grade, 2 in K and 1 preschooler! Yahooooooo!!! Let the fun begin!

Do I really think I can do this? NOPE. Not even in a million years. But, WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!

(I know homeschooling isn't for everyone, but it's a conscious choice that we have made as we feel it is the best for our family. Not an easy choice, but well worth the return.)

1 comment:

  1. I go through this every year! I know I can physically do it but do I want to. Homeschooling is such a sacrifice in so many way but the blessings are abundant too!

    Hang in there. You are working for the kingdom in so many ways!!

    ReplyDelete