Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Food Hoarding, Other Little Bad Habits and a Victory



Mr. M sits engrossed (on the BACK of the couch, of course) with his brothers playing a video game, biting his nails.

Adopting is not always easy- for you or the child. There are days of joy and there are days of tantrums. Even when you get what you think you are wanting, there will be days that you don't know that you want you've got. (I do not think that this applies only to adopted children :))
When you adopt a child there are things beyond your control that can affect the child, you the parents and your family. Sometimes the effects are small and only slightly ripple out affecting mostly the child. Sometimes the effects are huge and cause rippling far out beyond your knowledge.
Food hoarding is something that adopted children can go through. We've experienced some food gorging by Mr. Z and Mr. J, but after an incident (or several) the consequences were enough to deter further gorging. (notice I used gorging not hoarding) Mr. M amazes me at his prowess of silently sneaking past me to get to food (candy, caprisuns and snack bars) and going and hiding to eat them. It broke my heart to hear him say, "I need that lock". Speaking of a pantry and kitchen cabinets that locked that were made for a boy who had an eating disorder on an episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. He knows he's not supposed to take the food, but something in his brain makes him. No consequence has worked to date. It does not happen everyday though now. But we think we've conquered it, and then find a new stash of wrappers in a new hiding place.
Nail biting. Maybe it's genetic, but more than likely I am guessing it's his newest form of self stimulation. Anytime he's sitting or laying down, a foot or hand is in his mouth. GROSS!!!
Clothes on "wrong". People may comment that Mr. M's clothes are on backwards. At least they are on! Many days it takes several attempts just to get good morning clothes ON. The O.T. works with him on getting them turned the right way, sometimes I fight that battle but I usually let it slide. At least he's dressed is my thinking! I don't want the screaming and kicking that ensues- like Super P got a taste of today.
It takes time, patience and training and more time and patience and training and LOTS of prayer to work through these issues. But God does reward the diligent, and losing the battle for Mr. M is not an option.
Our victory? He cried today. Mr. M didn't get what he wanted and a tantrum ensued, but I saw a very small tear! (I'm not some sadistic nut. But this is only time #6 in his LIFE that I've seen a tear.) God is breaking down the walls. Through HIM all things are possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment