Friday, September 18, 2009

Orphanage Trip

I was doing fine visiting the orphanage. I was seeing lots of babies
that needed love and though my heart was especially touched by a few of
them, I was holding myself together. Then we met Elizabeth's main
caretaker. You could tell how she doted on Elizabeth and how much she
cared for her. She started tearing up when we went to leave her part of
the orphanage. I lost it. I started crying and telling her thank you
as best as I could. You could really tell that she cared. Our little
gift seemed like nothing compared to our gratitude over her care for
Elizabeth. All the nurses we met seemed to genuinely care about the
kids. Several came up and spoke to Elizabeth. One nurse pulled us
aside from our little group and showed us a sleeping child. I don't
know if she was saying that the child was Elizabeth's friend or a
sibling or to come back and get this one too. One of our lasts stops at
the orphanage was a room for bigger children. The kids rushed at me and
Elizabeth. Some started pulling on her. They were calling her their
nickname for her and telling her to come back. She started to cry. One
little boy seemed to be the most intent on getting Elizabeth back. He
was undoing her shoes and kept pulling on her leg. I made eye contact
with him several times. I really just wanted to scoop him up and carry
him out as well. He seemed to be only about three or four years old.
We had not realized that her orphanage is mainly for special needs
children, about 90% have some sort of special need. We are hoping to
post some video a later today of our time there. But here are some
pictures to try and glean a feel for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment