Tuesday, October 19, 2010

9-1-1 Does Work!

So I bet your wondering what happened. Through a series of events Mr. Incredible was home alone with our younger four doing dinner, baths, etc. Mr. M found a sticker earlier or at some point prior to his next action and when daddy said go upstairs and get jammies and underwear, he interpreted that to mean do what the sticker says, which was to call 911 in real emergencies. Well, guess our reading needs some help. Because though no "real" emergency was present, Mr. M commenced to sneak into our room and use the phone to call 911. Mr. Incredible was finishing dinner with Mr. T and Elizabeth and was only made aware of what happened when he answered the ringing phone and was asked if there was an emergency. Oh yeah. Wait for it. It gets better. If you dial 911, they will come to your house, even if you answer the return call. So... One of the two officers that responded is our neighbor who I had already waved to twice tonight through our various coming and goings. Apparently he did have quite a smile going on while speaking to Mr. Incredible, however they did save their laughter until after Mr. Incredible had shut the door.
Thankfully Mr. Incredible did answer the phone although he had debated not doing so since there had already been one telemarketer call tonight. Not sure he would have heard their knocking from the bathroom...
So (drum roll) that makes 3 poison control calls for a certain child and now a 911. And he's only 6!
I love you, Mr. Incredible. It could happen to anyone, it just seems to keep happening to us!

4 comments:

  1. My 1 yr. old nephew called 9-1-1 from my moms not too long ago. We all had quite a laugh over it! So don't feel alone. He was only 1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was 14, babysitting three small kids. I was changing the 1yr olds diapper and the 5yr old started playing with the phone. They had 911 on speed dial, so guess who she called, 911. They did call back, but this was back in the day before caller ID. I was always told never to answer the phone when I was home alone, so I didn't answer. When the officer showed up I did answer the door, (after I called my parents first) that's when I found out she called 911. Talk about scared!..I nerver watched those kids again! :)

    So no don't feel alone, other kids also do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the age of 5, I was a repeat offender in the 9-1-1 system, and I turned out ok. Or at least that's what I tell people when they can't prove otherwise.

    My husband, on the other hand, did not learn the critical skill of dialing for help in an emergency. When I needed to be transported to the hospital via ambulance this summer, he reached for the phone book and began flipping through its pages. My own mother, a redhead, kindly guided him through the process of contacting emergency responders.

    Thanks be to God that my mom was handy - my husband was flipping through a California phone book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much ladies for your kind words. I love your insight, Keri!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete