Tuesday, October 19, 2010

7 Habits of a Highly Effective Family, #1 and #2

So this is what we learned this past weekend....

Habit #1- Be Proactive

Instead of being reactive
Stimulus -> Response

Be Proactive
Stimulus->Choice in Response ->Response

The goal here is to stop and choose a response better than your initial gut (probably not prudent) reaction. Choose the best thing to do. Exert control over your response. The only thing we can control is our reaction to the situation.

Habit #2 Begin With the End in Mind

Imagine your life in 20 years, who are you with and what are you doing? Start whatever it is you want now!

Be intentional. Be intentional with who you are. Be intentional with what you do. Be intentional with who you do it with.

Make a 2-3 sentence family mission statement that clarifies your goals as a family.
___________________________________

Don't think we have it all together, we are still working on our family mission statement! The biggest thing that these two habits spoke to me was I HAVE to be intentional with spending time with each of the kids each day. It is NOT going to just happen. This is a choice I need to make so that I can better meet each of my children where they are. I need to be willing to stop my to do list and do something with them that they enjoy (probably not school related) and meet them where they are. It's not easy, but do I want my children to think the house or email more important than them?!

1 comment:

  1. I love, love that last statement! I pray that I can learn that also. Thanks for sharing what you learned and for blessing us with it!

    ReplyDelete