Thursday, December 10, 2009

What's so special?

Yesterday, at the day surgery "hospital", we heard once again how special we are for having adopted. Giving her a chance she otherwise wouldn't have, so caring, so special, she's lucky... I try to respond, but words sometimes fail me. And at 6am it's even harder to know what to say.
This isn't our first adoption, but it has been by far the most noticed one. Yes, it was expensive to adopt, but God provided what we needed when we needed it. Yes, she is getting a family she didn't have and medical care that might not have been otherwise accessible, but we are the lucky ones. Elizabeth is such a precious girl and blesses us with her smiles and kisses. Now, don't misunderstand, not every minute is great. Life with five children 10 and under, all with some sort of unique need is CRAZY! But even though I am sitting among PILES of clean laundry and have PILES of dirty laundry to deal with and a sink FULL of dirty dishes, my heart is full with thankfulness. Is this where I imagined myself 13 years ago as a prepared to marry Mr. Incredible? No. Is this where I imagined myself after the birth of Mr. Z or Mr. J? No. Do I want to always have these piles of laundry and dishes around? No. But God will get me through this too. Someone once told me some years ago, "God will never give you more than you can bear."- this was said to be well meaning of course. I replied, "But I didn't bear Mr. M!"
Our day yesterday was full of Elizabeth feeling unwell. Yesterday was a result of our decision to adopt again. I can look at it as another chance to promote healing for Elizabeth or a chance for me to be even further behind with all the "stuff" I "need" to do.
Over the weekend our van went into the hospital and wasn't seen again until last night. I could dwell on the fact that we thought it was still under warranty and fight the dealership- I distinctly remember 7 years and 100,000 miles once WE bought it- the contract is ambigious, they were a day late fixing it and we have been taking two vehicles wherever the whole family needed to go or me just not going with the kids anywhere since the loaner was only a five seater. Or am I willing to just pay the $$$$, move on with other more important things- like the kids- and know that God is just and will provide for EVERYTHING we need. Am I happy that the van has required so much this year, or in the last six weeks we have spent $$$$ on medical bills? No. But life isn't necessarily what we expect and we will be further ahead if we pick our battles and trust God. Do my best and let God do the rest. Will this be a Christmas where each child will be lavished with many presents? No. Is that really what they NEED anyway?! Our needs are met and we have many of our wants. And maybe at some point before Christmas we can get some decorations and our Christmas tree up.
We didn't adopt Elizabeth to be noticed by others. We are nothing special or noteworthy. We simply wanted to follow God's heart in providing for the fatherless and His commandment to love our neighbors as ourselves. Our neighbor might be right next door or it might be a child waiting for a family thousands of miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment